What are the benefits of the proposed merger?
- By working closer together, cutting duplication and making the most of our combined resources, a merger would help preserve local and neighbourhood policing, protect our communities and improve the service we deliver to the public.
- A merged force would provide a single vision that would continue to deliver future savings, by merging rather than continuing with an alliance. We would increase the amount of savings we can make, allowing us to be more innovative and transform the way we deliver our services.
- A merger would create the fifth largest force in the country, giving us and you a stronger national voice.
- Working together is the best way to meet the challenge of emerging threats and to operate more effectively, both now and in the future.
- A single leadership will reduce the number of chief officers and police and crime commissioners: One Police and Crime Plan, one vision, one mission.
- Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Devon, and Dorset will each have their own headquarters providing higher local visibility and accountability.
- 25% of our staff are already operating within our strategic alliance, including some areas of specialist policing.